In Kenya we screened over 2500 people in one week across seven communities. It was the hardest task we had ever done, but the spirit and effort from both the volunteers and the local health workers was a revelation. We keep pushing on.
We work hard to make sure that 100% of donations we get goes direct to the local people.
he biggest challenge we face in Africa is that too many people are in need of help. The Governments are working within their budget to help as much as they can but, the low level of awareness makes it hard, as it increases the rate of late presentations.
We have a long and hard task ahead of us as the issue of trust & transparency is a big barrier that non-profits are facing across the globe. We are determined and have a strong belief that as long as we keep driving on and doing the good work, we will encourage more partners and volunteers to join in.
Our program gives you a life changing experience filled with rewarding hard work, fun and very big smiles from those we help each day. You will be required to travel long distances daily deep into the rural villages, engaging with the local people. All our programs are planned within a 3-5 days period.
Everyday is never the same and get ready for hot and very sunny temperatures, a variety of meals and a cool evening dinner with the team each day.
On the Sunday before each event we organise a team building outing to help everyone get to know each other and see more of the tourist attractions of the Country.
We pride ourselves as everything we do is open for all to see and we thank every partner and volunteer who keep praying for us and working with us to make a difference in Africa.
Lift Above Cancer Nigeria.
In April 2017, we successfully registered Lift Above Cancer (LAC), a Non-Government organisation (NGO) in Nigeria. This is a huge mile stone towards our work in the rural communities.
The advantages of working as a registered charity in rural Africa communities are numerous. We can
- Approach the local government and draft out memorandum of understandings for long terms relationships, as well as discuss Cancer control plans and policies.
- We can employ staffs and pay them in line with the legal PAYE framework.
- We can access local grants if available from International organisations.
- We can operate freely as an organisation without hindrances and community challenges.
- We can grow our vision.
Our Short Term Plan.
Our short term plans are to:
- Provide door to door examinations and health checks to identify the Signs and Symptoms early.
- Register as much people that we can to develop a regular monthly check up plan and accurate data.
Our Long term Plan.
We believe that LAC will be a model for us to learn best practises and the legal frameworks required to operate charities in Africa. Our long term goals are:
- To build a fully functioning community health centre that will provide definite diagnosis,
- To operate a community radio station focused on health education to help improve Health literacy regarding Cancer risk factors and Symptoms.
- To use this platform as an example to setup other centre in other rural communities in Kenya, and two other Africa Countries.